Galvin’s Lewy Body Composite Risk Score
The Lewy Body Composite Risk Score is a quick test developed by Dr. James E. Galvin for the purpose of giving doctors a three minute assessment to use if they suspect Lewy Body Dementia with a patient.
The test is scored on a continuous scale with a range of 0 to 10. “You simply check present or not present and add up the number of yeses, and three or more yeses suggests that Lewy bodies are the underlying cause of the dementing process,” said Dr. Galvin.
1. Have slowness in initiating and maintaining movement or have frequent hesitations or
pauses during movement?
2. Have rigidity (with or without cogwheeling) on passive range of motion in any of
the 4 extremities?
3. Have a loss of postural stability (balance) with or without frequent falls?
4. Have a tremor at rest in any of the 4 extremities or head?
5. Have excessive daytime sleepiness and/or seem drowsy and lethargic when awake?
6. Have episodes of illogical thinking or incoherent, random thoughts?
7. Have frequent staring spells or periods of blank looks?
8. Have visual hallucinations (see things not really there)?
9. Appear to act out his/her dreams (kick, punch, thrash, shout or scream)?
10. Have orthostatic hypotension or other signs of autonomic insufficiency?
*3 or more yes marks means there is a high likelihood of Lewy Body Dementia
If you are not sure about #10, click on the link and it’ll take you to an article to explain that aspect more clearly.
Copyright 2015 The Lewy Body Composite Risk Score, James E. Galvin
For a more detailed explanation, click here
*Feel free to share this post if you feel it might help others gain a better understanding of the caregiving journey. If you’d like to follow this blog (it’s free) click on the follow button on the right side of this page and you’ll receive an email whenever there’s a new post. You can unfollow any time you wish.
*If you’d like to see past posts, go to the top of this page and click the “home” button and scroll down, or go to the “categories” on the right side of the page. There are buttons at the top for helpful links, and other information.
*I’m also a published fiction author. If you want to check out my books, you can find out more about them here.